Meditate on the Works of God

When we get into stressful situations in life, or we can't understand what is going on around us, it is good to take time to remember the works of God in our lives and to meditate on them. (Psalm 143:5) I hope this is your practice already, but if not, I would highly recommend it to you.

Satan is a master at causing us to think that God doesn't care about us or that He can't fix what is wrong in our lives. We must not give in to his lies. What we can do is stop to remember all that God has done for us. Not only that, we can meditate on how it all happened and the special ways that God worked to solve our problems and deliver us. This will bring hope and peace to our troubled souls.

God saved me at age 14 when I knew Jesus was the Lord, and I finally surrendered my life to Him. What a peace filled my heart. God called me to preach by speaking directly to my heart when I was 17 years old riding down Midway Road with Jim Lingerfelt. God answered my prayer to know who to date, even without asking anyone out, on December 30, 1972, when Melanie Mulkey asked Chris Bennett, now my wife, to go out with me. God directed me to Baylor University the next year, and He sent my first friend the first day of moving into the dorm right after I finished praying for a friend. A few weeks later I had my first staff position at a church because of that friend's contact with a lady at the church. God brought me to be pastor of Smith Bend Baptist Church in August 1976 in a totally unexpected way, and I stayed there seven plus years. I could go on and on. I could muse for hours about the greatness and glory of God to work in my life in so many wondrous ways. I praise Him for being so gracious to me, and I know He will continue, if I will trust Him.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 145-148.

Popular Posts