For Your Own Good

How man times have we heard our parents say that they were telling us how to behave or what to do, and it was for "our own good?" I know for me it was plenty of times that I heard it said to me and that I said it to my children. It is what good parents do. We show our children the right way to act, so their lives will be better.

God is the best Parent, and He does the same thing. All of His commandments and statutes are given to us "for our good."(Deuteronomy 10:12,13) He was giving them so that we can have the best life possible. Unfortunately, many people believe that if they get to do things their own way, they will have the best life for them. That is false, because they do not have the wisdom of God in all things, unless they are following the Lord.

Deuteronomy 10:12,13 gives us a snapshot of what is for our good. We must fear the Lord, walk in all His ways, love Him and serve Him with all our heart and soul, while keeping all of His commandments. That is a great summary of what is good for us. If we can keep that in the front of our minds and hearts, we will pursue the things that are for our good.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Deuteronomy 12-14.

Popular Posts