Recovery and Accountability

I am glad that I do not know much about addiction. The only thing I have ever been addicted to was food. That is bad enough, but I did not really have to go through a recovery process to break that addiction. However, I do have sympathy for folks who need to break other types of addictions, because of my problems with food in the past.

One thing I do know is that the power of God is the only power that can totally release us from the bondage of anything that holds us in its grip. Many times the person is delivered from one addiction, only to become addicted to something else, even if it is less destructive. God wants us to be free from all addictions except one. We should not be addicted to anything except Jesus. Once we are addicted to Him, He sets us free to be all we can be in His power. That is true freedom and recovery.

For the addict to achieve this goal there must be real accountability to a person who knows that addiction. That way there is a clear understanding of each pitfall and each step of recovery. It also adds genuine encouragement from a person who knows the joy of being delivered. Without this type of accountability the addict can pull the wool over the eyes of those who are trying to help them.

Tomorrow, I intend to read II Chronicles 18-20.

Popular Posts