Radical Dependence on the Lord

I am in the middle of reading the book, Radical, by David Platt. It is a very good book. It challenges all of us, as believers in the USA, to make sure the philosophy of the American Dream has not corrupted our theology and our practice of the Christian life. I would highly recommend it to everyone.

Part of what he says that the Lord used to speak to me was having a radical dependence upon the Lord for His direction for my personal life and for my church. Of course, I always try to follow the Lord in both areas, but sometimes, I try to work things out myself, or I do things on my own without really knowing it is God who is leading me. If I am not careful, I can get too dependent on programs and events, instead of being sensitive to Him.

The past couple of days I have been praying for Him to show me and use me even more than usual, and He has been doing just that. This morning I went to the church late, as I usually do on Wednesdays. However, I drove up just at the time another person was there with whom I needed to speak. As I began the conversation, a passion rose inside of me, and I was able to express myself in a very specific way, and get my point across more effectively than usual. Then, I received a call from a man I have been wanting to see for months, and we set up an appointment for tomorrow. Finally, at prayer meeting this evening a special family showed up for the first time, and we were able to meet their needs in a caring way and answer their questions. I can't remember when I have been in a better ministry time than the Lord opened up for us tonight.

I have often said that the Lord can do more in 10 minutes than we can do in 10 years, but we have to remain sensitive and allow Him to lead us, or we will miss what He is doing, or we will crowd Him out.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Proverbs 14-16.

Popular Posts