All The Hurting People

As a pastor I come in contact with all kinds of people. It seems that more and more I meet more hurting people than the ones who are doing well. I believe it is a sign of the times, but I also believe it is an opportunity to share the truth with them. The truth is that Jesus is their only hope. I can only help them in a very limited way. However, if they will listen to me and cry out to the Lord, He can meet their every need.

I have noticed a disturbing pattern over the years, though. A lot of folks want to "try God for a while." Then, when things don't drastically change for the better, they give up on Him. The problem is that the real trouble was not with God, but with them. It was that they needed a change of heart and a change of lifestyle. They are not willing to put in the time and effort to trust God for the long haul.

I like what Dallas Willard says in his books. He says that it is true that we are saved by grace and that grace is free. However, grace does not mean that no effort is involved on our part. In fact, God is looking for our response. Our response is our faith. Without action there is no real faith.

Hurting people need to know that none of us can do it on our own. We all need the Lord, and it takes the same faith from all of us to follow Him. When we are willing to trust, He is willing to heal us and to meet our needs.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Proverbs 5-7.

Popular Posts