Breaking the Ice

Many times I have to spend some time gaining a person's trust before I can really have a platform for witnessing to him or her. I have read that Chuck Colson and others call that "pre-evangelism." It is needed, because there are so many people who know so little about the Lord and His Word. They need an introduction to what Christianity is all about.

One main factor in pre-evangelism is showing sincere love and care for another person. I am a firm believer that they do not care how much you know, until they know how much you care. That can take hours and hours of conversations and caring gestures. I was so heartened today as I spoke to one person who I thought was sort of antagonistic toward "religion." At one point I asked this person how I could be of help. They shared that I could have our church pray for them. I believe that is a huge breakthrough. I see God working there, and I want to join Him in what He is doing like Henry Blackaby says in Experiencing God.

Then, I was speaking to another individual today, too. He has made it clear that he doesn't want visitors, but for the past several months, he has allowed me to visit with him any time. When he calls me his buddy or friend, it warms my heart. I took the time to share the gospel with him this afternoon. He was not very talkative, but he did listen. I planted the seed, and now, I can continue to water it, along with other folks who will help me. At the end of the visit he said, "Come back any time." When I hear that I know God has broken the ice on a cold heart. It would be a terrible sin for me to neglect this man in whom God is working. I pray that one day I could see Him completely trust Christ and come to church to share his testimony with others.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Proverbs 10-12 and II Corinthians 4.

Popular Posts