Deliberate Disobedience

It is amazing how much human beings are wired for disobedience. I see it everywhere I turn, it seems. Human nature is driven to be so independent. We think we know better than the person telling us what to do. It is scary.

At Good News Club I have the privilege of teaching the children, but I also have to take them down the hall to the water fountain and the restrooms. Invariably, the boys break into a run as soon as we leave the classroom or as soon as they leave the water fountain. They know they are not supposed to run, but they do it anyway.

At Upward basketball each week I try to keep order, but I always have trouble with the basketballs. I put one down, so we can use the other one, and one or two of the boys make a bee line to the idle ball. I tell them not to touch it, so they put their feet on it, instead of their hands. I have to tell them again not to touch the ball. It happens every week.

These are just childish examples of a serious problem which all of us have, no matter what age we are. If we listen to the flesh, we will disobey God. It is that simple. It is imperative that we listen to the Spirit and obey Him at all costs, or we will find ourselves at odds with God. That is a terrible place to be. God wants to forgive, but He can't ignore deliberate disobedience.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 18-19 and Matthew 6:1-18.

Popular Posts