Let Us Go On To Maturity

I think we assume that people will mature with age. I don't find that to be the case. Maturity is not automatic. Maturity is the result of growth in character to the point that the person is able to be responsible for taking care of himself or herself in a reasonable and healthy way. There are many people in the world who never become mature under that definition.

I come to that definition because I know the Greek derivation for the word that means mature. It means to be able to fulfill your purpose. I believe the purpose of an individual is much more than physical maturity. It is being able to do what God designed us to do. What did God design us to do?

If you read Romans 8:29, it is clear that God wants us as Christians to be conformed to the image of Christ. Our purpose is to be like Jesus. I personally believe that He wants all people to come to know Christ, so that is His ultimate will for everyone. To be like Christ is to be able to communicate the love of God and the truth of God in such a way that others come to know God personally. Therefore, that is maturity. If a Christian can't lead someone else to Jesus, or if they have not done that, they are not mature, in my understanding of God's Word.

Hebrews 6:1 exhorts us to go on to perfection. That is the word for maturity. It is a command. Therefore, it is God's will for you and me. With any command comes the power to accomplish it, if we depend on Him. So the question is, are we going to go on to maturity? One day we will find out if we made it. At the Judgment Jesus will tell us if we fulfilled our purpose, and if we were mature.I pray that we all want to stand before Him complete and mature.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Jeremiah 48-49 and Hebrews 7.

Popular Posts