The Gift of Discernment

I have met many people who have different gifts from God, and one of them is the gift of spiritual discernment. I can say that as far as I know right now, that is not a gift that God has given me. I have asked Him many times why He decided not to give me that valuable gift since He called me to be a pastor. It would be so fantastic to be able to know almost instantly what needs to be done in a particular situation or how to deal with a particular person. I just don't have it, and I think it is because it leads me to trust in prayer and in the help of other people more than other pastors. Both of those qualities are important. I have met so many pastors, who are one man shows or dictators, because they felt like they always knew exactly what God wants them and the church to do. My lack of discernment has saved me from that problem. It makes me to be more connected to other leaders, and to ask for their input on decisions. I think that is good, because everyone gets involved in finding God's will and doing it.

Even though, I would like to be spiritually discerning, I really don't ever want to do anything that robs other Christians of doing their part to do God's will. I want to encourage all of us to trust God and to do our parts to do His will. Then, everyone gets a blessing in the process. Unfortunately, many Christians depend on the pastor to know and to do almost everything that has to do with spiritual things. God doesn't want it to be that way. We are all accountable to Him for working together to be His Body in this world.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 46-48 and Acts 28.

Popular Posts