The Sufferings of this Present Time

Today, I made a trip to the hospital again. If I had a nickel for every time I had been to a hospital in the last 35 years, I would have a lot of money. Tuesday, I went to three hospitals in the same day. In some ways it is rewarding and in some ways it is heart-breaking. The main thing is to show the love of Christ and to bring a word of comfort and cheer to those who are having some type of physical suffering. I pray that God has been able to use me to do that over the years.

However, this visit was a difficult one. The last 7 years I have grown to care for Billy Swann in a unique way, because he has suffered constantly from pain and disabilities the entire time. I have watched him decline, until now he often falls and hurts himself. Now, he is suffering from something that is affecting his ability to think clearly, too. It hurts me to go see him in this condition, but I want to help him and encourage him in any way I can.

Those kinds of visits are the reason that Romans 8:18 is a very special verse for me. I take great comfort in the fact that Christians will be in Heaven with the Lord the second they leave this world. At that moment they will forget the sufferings of this life, because they will be nothing compared to the glory that they will experience there. I don't know why some have to suffer so much more than others, but I do know that Jesus will make it up to them when they get to that dwelling place He has prepared for them. I believe Billy has one of those places and one day he will experience that glory. I look forward to visiting with him then, when we won't have to talk about hurting or falling.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Ezra 6-8 and John 21.

Popular Posts