Run to Win the Prize

I don't think I ever won first place in a race and got a ribbon or trophy for it. I may have come in second or third in my age group in a 5K or two and got a ribbon for my efforts. I am just not fast enough to win the prize for first place. That is the analogy Paul uses to challenge us about running the Christian life. (I Corinthians 9:24) In his day the winner received a crown that was made out of a laurel branch, which was woven into a crown. We are running for something that will last much longer than that type of crown.

The Christian life is a long race. It takes discipline to stay on track and run well. We have to put off the sin that weighs us down and run with endurance, as it says in Hebrews. However, Paul's point is that we must run in such a way as to win the prize for being the best. The fact is that only a few run in that way. Most believers simply run, but they have no intention of doing their best to receive a prize. When we do that, we miss God's purpose for our life. Jesus wants us to be holy and to be like Him. That is a very high goal to reach. We will not reach it without a daily dedication to allowing the Spirit to conform us to the image of Christ. We have to cooperate with the Spirit, follow the Word of God, and strive forward each day toward the goal of always doing the right thing and hating the wrong things so much that we do not do them. If we do that, when we see Jesus, He will give us an "imperishable crown" that will last for eternity. Of course, we will not keep it. We will lay it at His feet, because He gave His all to save us, and we can do nothing without Him.
#NHBaptistdotorg

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Corinthians 10-12.

Popular Posts