Looking Back on God's Promises

Joshua lived a long and blessed life, because of his excellent faith in God. It was not a life free from pain or sorrow. He had times when things did not go as he wanted them to go. However, I believe that he was very pleased with what the Israelites were able to accomplish under his leadership. They conquered the land of Canaan and divided the land, just as God had instructed him to do. Then, when he came near the end of his life, he looked back on all that had happened. He told the people with all confidence that none of the good promises that God had made to them had failed. They all were fulfilled. (Joshua 23:14) What a testimony for this man of God to give. We should be able to give the same testimony as we look back on our lives, too.

As we focus on God's promises in His Word this year, I hope they are standing out to all of us. We need to write down the ones that God uses to speak to us, or even keep a list of all of the promises that apply us. In that way we can know more of what to look for God to do in our lives. However, I can say one thing with certainty. I have never seen a promise from God fail in my life. Oh, I have failed. I have lacked faith and done the wrong things. Nevertheless, God has been faithful. Any time I have trusted His promises and done His will, He has fulfilled those promises exactly as He said He would. He promised to save me, when I turned from my sins, trusted Christ as my Savior and Lord, who died and rose again for me. He did that by His grace. Ever since then, I have seen Him care for me, provide for me and my family, guide me with His loving hand and fulfill every other promise in His Word. I pray that we will all take every opportunity to tell others about the goodness of God to fulfill all of His promises.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Joshua 24 and Judges 1-2.

Popular Posts