A True Pastor's Heart

A lot of people would call me a "preacher," because I deliver sermons and share the gospel with people. Yes, I am a preacher of the gospel, but that can be a negative title. Many people don't want to be "preached at." Unfortunately, when those people think of a preacher it turns them off to the Lord and to the church. This breaks my heart. I hope one day that they can see the other side, too. Paul said it very well in his letter to the church in Thessalonica. (I Thessalonians 2:8) I wish more people were aware of what I and other pastors feel for other people.

When God saves us, He gives us the love of Christ. If we cultivate that love, we come to the place where we love everyone, just like Jesus did. That is especially true of a pastor. After all, the word pastor means "shepherd." A shepherd has a heart for His sheep. He gets to know their names and their personalities. He learns how to meet their needs. To do that, he gives of himself to them. That is what a true pastor does. Not only do we share the gospel with people, but we develop a deep affection for people, and we desire to impart ourselves to them in any way we can.

I believe if people knew this, they would have a different opinion of preachers and churches. They would be drawn to the church and to the Lord, because of the love they see. I know that is my goal, and I hope we will all make that our goal. Yes, we need to share the gospel with people, but let's do it from a heart of love and affection for them. Remember, until them know how much we care, they will not care how much we know.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Thessalonians 3-5 and II Thessalonians 1.

Popular Posts