This Present Darkness

Years ago, I read a very compelling book by Frank Peretti entitled, This Present Darkness.  I remember how engrossed I was in the tale of spiritual warfare, and how it drove me to the Bible to search out the basis for what he had written. I found that it was all there. It opened my eyes to a lot of what was going on around me in the heavenly places. I was reminded of this by the translation of Ephesians 6:11,12 in the ESV. It is something that all believers need to be aware of because we are in a spiritual war, whether we realize it or not.

Paul admonishes us, as believers, to "put on the whole armor of God." Without God's whole armor we are no match for Satan and his forces of darkness in this world. However, if we keep it all on and use it well, Satan and his forces are no match for us. This is God's promise to us, because of the armor He has provided for us to wear all of the time. The helmet of salvation, the breastplate of righteousness, the belt of truth, the feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace, the shield of faith and the sword of the Spirit are God's gifts to us to defeat the rulers, authorities, and cosmic powers over this present darkness. They are the only things that empower us to defeat the forces of evil in the heavenly places. Physical weapons and human strength have no impact on them. Prayer and the Word of God wielded in the power of the Spirit always protect us and defeat the spiritual powers of evil. I would urge all of us to start off the day by putting on the whole armor of God. Then, keep it on all day. If you need a copy of how I do that each day, just message me. I will send it to you. It has really helped me to live in victory.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Philippians 1-3.

Popular Posts