The Suffering and Shame of Jesus

God gave the prophet Isaiah a glimpse into the suffering and shame of Jesus over 700 years before Jesus died for the sins of the world. (Isaiah 50:6,7) The details given are amazing in their accuracy, and the atonement of Jesus is explained well. Consider well what the Spirit inspired Isaiah to record for us.

Jesus willingly gave Himself for us, no one took His life. He gave His back to be scourged, and He allowed His beard to be plucked out by the soldiers. They spit on Him and mocked Him before He was crucified. All of this was not just terrible suffering, it was a shame and a disgrace to be treated like this and to die that type of death. However, Jesus knew that He would not be ashamed and disgraced, because the Father would accept His death and exalt Him, giving Him a name above every name. (Philippians 2:5-11) Therefore, He set His face like a flint to obey the Father, endure the suffering and shame, so that we could have forgiveness of sins and life eternal.

When I consider the suffering and shame of Jesus, I realize that I have never suffered anything like that, and I have not received that type of shame in my life. However, I need to be willing to suffer pain and shame for His name, so that all men may know Him and have life in Christ.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Isaiah 53-55.

Popular Posts