Making Plans

It is good for us to make plans for the future, but we must always know that it is God's direction that matters, not our plans. (Proverbs 16:9) Some people have detailed plans, and they are good at following their own plans. Others do not make very good plans, and they are not good at following the plans they make. However, the key to life turning out well is that we must stay in touch with the Lord and follow His directions for us each day. Let's consider this.

We can have a plan and a goal to reach. Both can be good and worthy of our time and effort. The problem comes once we simply stick to our plan, and we ignore the way God is directing our steps. God could be taking us to the same place we made plans to go, or He may have a better plan for us. That is why His directions for us are always best. Remember, God knows the future. We don't. (James 4:13-15) All of our plans should be based on the fact that we do not know the complete will of God, and we sure do not know all of the steps it takes to get there. Therefore, we say, "If God wills, we will do this."

Also, sometimes our plans are not God's plans. We need to keep that in mind, so that if we come to a time when our plans would have to change, we must depend on the Lord to show us where to go and what to do. Let me use a personal example. Years ago, I was called to pastor my home church, the church in which I was saved and called to the ministry. That was very special to me, and it still is special to me. What if I had made plans to be there the rest of my life, but God spoke to me about going to another church? Would it be right for me to stick with my plan? At that point, if I stuck with my plan, I would be out of God's will, and I would not be able to pastor the church as God desired it to be pastored. I would not only hurt myself, but other people. Let's not be so head strong that we make such a mistake for our lives.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Proverbs 18-21.

Popular Posts