God's Lovingkindness

In seminary we learned about words in the Bible that are hard to translate into English. One of those words is the Hebrew word "chesed." It is translated lovingkindness, mercy, goodness, faithfulness, and with other words to try to get at the meaning. I was taught that the background of the word shows it is connected to God making a covenant with us to be our God. When He does that, He always fulfills His part of the covenant. Therefore, a good definition is God's covenant faithfulness. I hope that makes sense.

Therefore, we can be assured that God is always faithful, merciful and good to His children, who have trusted Him and entered into a covenant with Him to be their Lord and Savior. David seized on this word and the concept in Psalm 63:3 when He declared "Because Your lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise You." The word for life means being alive or having life. I believe David was saying that when he came to know the Lord and started walking with Him, he found out that his life was so much better than anything he had ever known before or could ever know, if He did not walk in covenant with God and enjoy His blessing.

I have found that to be the case in my life. Have you? I have come to realize over the years of living on this earth that nothing brings me pleasure and fulfillment like knowing God and walking with Him. His blessings are so much better than any earthly experiences. Some people travel the globe, they try to experience the pleasures of food and drink, they try to reach the top of their professions, but they never understand that knowing the Lord is better than life. Have you experienced that? I would ask all of us to be honest with ourselves and with God, because I sense there are many believers who are still thinking life is better than God's faithfulness. They are thinking that they just need to experience life a little more to be happy. If that is your life, you will never know the best.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 64-66.

Popular Posts