Horton Hatches the Egg

This morning I went to Cotton Indian Elementary School for the annual "Read Across America" day. It is when volunteers come to read Dr. Seuss books to the children in an effort to encourage reading. I think this was my third year in a row. It is a lot of fun, and a great way to get to know the students and let them get to know me.

The best thing is the book God led me to read my first year. I did not know what to choose, but I picked Horton Hatches The Egg off of the table in the Media Center. Once I read it, I knew why God had me to pick it up. It has a great lesson. It teaches the children to be faithful, so I read it each year. Horton goes through a terrible year of sitting on an egg for a lazy bird, who goes on vacation and never comes back. All the time, Horton keeps telling himself and others, "I meant what I said, and I said what I meant; An Elephant's faithful one hundred percent." What do you think, is there a better lesson than that for children these days? Yes, I would like to be able to just share the gospel with them, but at least, I can share with them about faithfulness and always doing what you say you will do, no matter how boring it may be, or how much you want to play. I speak with them about not lying and not being lazy, as well. We all need to learn those lessons.

Next Friday I get to go back and speak to about 200 students for Career Day. That is a special treat. I am able to share about what I do as a pastor and my education for the ministry. It is great because, I am allowed to answer their questions, and we get into a lot of important spiritual things that way. Please, pray for me that I will be a good witness to the children and teachers for Career Day next week.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Joshua 14-16.
March 2 – Matthew 22:36-39
Make the commitment to the Lord to love Him with all of your heart, soul, and mind. Then, ask Him to help you love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Popular Posts