Test of Patience and Endurance

My day took an unexpected turn when Chris got one of her sick headaches at about 10 AM. I came home to get Jacob, so Chris could take her mother to the doctor. I found Chris much too sick to go anywhere with anyone, so I gathered up Jacob and his diaper bag. We went to my luncheon appointment. I had already asked if I could bring him along with me for lunch. However, before I left I set a new appointment for my mother-in-law for 3 PM, too.

Jacob did well at lunch. He doesn't especially like to sit in high chairs, but he sat and ate for about an hour. Then, he played a while before we left the restaurant. I went to vote on the way home, because I wasn't sure how the rest of the day would go. He was great at the poll. We arrived home in plenty of time to check on Chris. She was still very sick, so I loaded up Anne and Jacob to go to the doctor's office.

I was hoping he would sleep in the car during the 45 minute ride, but he didn't. We made it to the appointment and checked in at 2:40 PM. We checked out at 5:40 PM. I was privileged to spend three hours with my 20 month old grandson in a doctor's office while we waited for Anne to be seen and treated. I am very glad to say that WE passed the test. Jacob lived through it, and so did I. God granted us both enough patience and endurance for the afternoon.

I am not sure if it was harder for him or for me. However, I do know that if it had been one of my children when I was younger, I would not have been able to have done so well. It is a tribute to the work of the Spirit in my life over the years. He has graced me with more and more patience and endurance for the hardships of life. I give the Lord all of the glory. In fact, it is wonderful to be able to look back and to see the progress that has been made. I am not what I ought to be, but I am not what I used to be, either. Also, I am not what I will be able to become in the future. The Christian life is a process of growth. It is a wondrous sight to behold!

Tomorrow, I intend to read John 11-13.

Popular Posts