Dixie's Birthday

We celebrated Dixie's birthday today. I won't say how old she is now. I will say I am very proud she is my daughter. She has always been a very loving person, who worked hard and accomplished a lot. It gives me great joy to see her walking with the Lord and being such a good mother. I love her very much, as I always have.

On the day of her birth I committed one of my worst sins, and I have always regretted it. She was born in Waco, Texas while I was the pastor of Smith Bend Baptist Church. I had been asked to preach a revival that week in a neighboring church. My sin was that I left the hospital, and I went and preached that night after she was born at about 6:15 PM. In my absence the pediatrician who was filling in for our doctor came in and told Chris that Dixie had a serious heart condition. Of course, that hit Chris hard, and I was not there for her. It was a terrible mistake. When I returned to the hospital, Chris told me what the doctor had said, and I tried to console her and be the strong one. However, when I left the hospital that night to go pick up my other daughter, Lori, I stopped to get something to eat. As I sat alone, I earnestly cried out to God to heal my little girl. Then, I made the 35 mile trip to our house in the country.

The next week we took Dixie to our pediatrician, and he checked her out very thoroughly. He pronounced her completely healthy. I tried to argue with him a little, and I asked if I needed to take her to the heart doctor that was recommended by the other physician. He had checked her in the hospital, too. Our doctor said something like, "You don't need to take your car in for a tune up when nothing is wrong, do you?" Chris and I did not know what to think, except that God had worked a miracle and healed Dixie's heart. In one week I went from committing a serious sin to feeling very blessed. I praise God for His goodness.

It was actually a blessing in another way, also. We did not have much insurance coverage. It did not cover "well baby" care at all. However, since the doctor gave that diagnosis, all of Dixie's expenses were covered, and we had to pay even less than we did for Lori's birth. God works in mysterious ways.

All of my children are my favorites, but each one for different reasons. I praise God for each one. I thank Him for Dixie's heart, because it is healthy and full of love.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Isaiah 12-15.

Popular Posts