A Slow Animal Walk

I was able to spend the afternoon with my grandson, Kade. We went to IKEA to pick up a gift, and then we stopped at Quick Trip for a special snack. By the time we got home it was time to take Midnight, our dog, on an animal walk in the woods. We call it an animal walk because we hope to see deer or other animals, but most of the time we do not have that pleasure. Today, Kade was walking in slow motion, even though most of the time he is running through the woods. I am not sure what was going through his little mind, but I believe there was a reason for his slow pace.

On the way to IKEA to told him that I had sure enjoyed being with him for the past several months and that I was going to miss him. Without skipping a beat he reminded me that we would be able to visit on the computer by using Skype with the web cam. I told him that was very true and that I would look forward to that. Then, when we arrived at the store he immediately wanted to ride in a shopping cart from the truck to the building. He said it tickled his bottom with its vibration. Then, we searched for the gift, but he enjoyed playing with the cart. His slowness started on the way back to the truck. I thought at first I was walking too fast in my haste to get home. Then, I realized he wanted to go slow.

After getting our special snack at QT and bundling up because of the cold, we set out with Midnight for the woods. I could not get him to keep up with me. I was not angry or harsh, but I wondered why, since he usually has so much energy. Finally, he found a good long stick, and he was hitting everything in sight. We slowly arrived at the house, and I put Midnight up. However, Kade wanted to stay outside for a while and play. I told Gran and his mother, and they gave their instructions. Then, I went back inside. He enjoyed his time on the big wheel until Lori took him to their house to pack.

I am probably just being a sentimental Grandad, but it seems to me that the little man was savoring his experiences today. He knows they are packing, and soon they will be going to Texas to be close to Jeff's family until they return to his beloved home of Japan. Such is the life of a Third Culture Kid, so there is no need to cry, just enjoy each new experience as it comes. Enjoy the family any way possible, while you take in all each culture you can. I admire Kade for that. I am determined not to be too sad when they leave, but I don't think I will handle it as well as he will. God has given him an abundance of grace for his life, which is how God does. He will give me and Gran His grace, too, but just in a little different way, since we are just One Culture Grandparents.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Micah 1-3 and Revelation 11.

Popular Posts