The Helper

This morning I did chapel for the elementary students of our academy as I usually do on Thursdays. The topic was, "Who is the Holy Spirit?" The previous two weeks we talked about Jesus and the Father, so we were concluding our study of the trinity.

In John 14:26 the New King James Version translates the Greek word "parakletos" as helper. I explained to the children that the Holy Spirit comes into every believer when we are saved to be our Helper. He is an amazing helper, because He teaches us "all" things. That covers a lot of ground, doesn't it? I believe it is true.

What do you need help with and what do you need to know? The Holy Spirit is with you to assist you with whatever you need. The word literally means to come alongside of us to assist us. Have you heard Him speaking to you? Have you known His direction in leading you to a place or to do a certain thing? That is His job, and if we, as believers, are sensitive and listening, I believe we will hear Him all of the time. We must allow Him to fill us, and we must submit to His leadership. Then, He can accomplish His purpose in our lives.

I am convinced that most of us do not rely on the Spirit enough. We do not make it a priority. We try to figure things out for ourselves,and we try to do things in our own power. That is why we miss out on so many things, and we fail so often. I pray that we will learn our lesson and listen to our Helper all of the time.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 143-145 and I Corinthians 14:21-40.

Popular Posts