Fridays

For most of my 35 years of ministry I have taken my "day off" on Friday. At first I felt guilty for even taking a day off from doing the Lord's work, but then, I learned that it was pretty much a necessity. God knew what He was doing when He made the Sabbath for rest.

Over the years I have rested in various ways. I played golf pretty consistently for about half of those years, but mostly I have tried to do things around the house and to help Chris. When we home schooled the children for 2 years, I was the teacher on Fridays, so Chris could have some time off, too. It is a joy to get to spend time with Chris, since we are busy most of the time.

Now, we have a special responsibility on a lot of Fridays. When Dixie works, we are in charge of Jacob. Now, I am not much help, but I try. I am pretty good at feeding him the bottle, because he knows he is not getting any breast feeding from me. I am an excellent "burper." I am not afraid to pat him hard and rub his back briskly to get that burp out. We like to take trips, too. Today, we made it to the DeKalb Farmers' Market. He did fine except when we stopped by my parents house. It must have been the unusual surroundings, or else I interrupted his nap in the wrong place. However, it did give Chris a break for a couple of hours, and he slept well when he got home.

It is great to not have to be in a hurry to get somewhere or to do something. That is how it is on Fridays. I think I actually get more done under those conditions at times. My mind can slow down and think, and I can focus on one thing at a time, instead of the whole list of things. It is great. I look forward to spending more time with Jacob on Fridays as he gets older. I will have a helper with my errands and chores. I might even be able to teach him how to play golf someday, as well.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 146-147 and I Corinthians 15:1-28.

Popular Posts