The Importance of Friends

We all need friends. We especially need other Christian friends, if we are believers. It is not just a good idea, but it is a command. (John 13:34,35) A Friend is someone with whom we can relax, and it is someone in whom we can confide. There are levels of friendship, even though we should love all of our friends like Jesus loves us. A deep friendship results when we connect with someone because we find that we are soul mates; we have so much in common spiritually, intellectually, and emotionally. However, I believe the Lord Jesus wants us to have genuine friendships on many different levels.

I remember the friend the Lord sent me the day I was moving into the dorm at Baylor. He came into my room right after I had dropped to my knees and prayed for God to send a friend, because I was a long way from home, and I knew no one in Waco. I think of scores of friends from various places in the world with whom I have close bonds. Today, I have been thinking about my pastor friends, my church family friends, and my friendships with non-Christians at this point in my life. What a joy each one brings to my heart! Each one plays a role in sharpening me to become more like Jesus. I pray that I am as much of a blessing to them as they are to me.

I am especially glad that my wife, Chris, is my best friend in the world. I believe that should be true for every married couple. My next greatest joy is that I can be friends with my adult children and their spouses. Very close to that joy is being friends with my own parents. Now, I know some people might say that those people are not friends, but they are family. I would respond that we must not ever neglect to have a close relationship with our families, no matter how many other close friends we have.

My regret is that it is impossible to spend as much time as I would like with each of these friends. I must try to depend on the Lord to show me with whom to relate on a daily basis. He is Lord of my life and of my relationships. I can't help but believe that friendships are one reason why Heaven is eternal. With all of the friends I have made during these 54 years, it will take millions of years to spend enough time with them and to continue to serve the Lord in that perfect place. I am looking forward to that aspect of Heaven, as well as seeing my Best Friend of all, Jesus.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 77-78 and Romans 10.

Popular Posts