Discernment

Being a pastor requires me to exercise a lot of discernment. Since it is not my main gift, it is often a challenge to me. I prayerfully try to assess each situation with which I am presented, so God can direct me as to what I should do and how I should do it.

How do I tell if paying some-one's bills will really help them, or just be enabling them? I have always struggled in those cases.

How can I motivate a person to do his best? Is it better to chasten him or to encourage him? That is a difficult question for me many times.

When do I confront someone about their attitudes or about their lack of commitment? Do I just pray for them or do I say something?

How do I handle it when I try to be a peace-maker, and it back fires on me? I have had that happen several times, so I am very gun shy in those cases.

The truth is that all I can do is the best I can do. God would never put me in a situation that He did not think I could handle. He would never allow something and not give me the grace to know what to do. If I am sensitive to Him, He will show me the way. Then, even if it turns out badly, I will know that I did what the Lord told me to do.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Chronicles 10-12 and John 6:45-71.

Popular Posts