The Importance of Unity

This evening my message was on unity. I can't remember the last time I delivered a whole message on unity, but it was very challenging to me. It made me realize why we have trouble with "connections" or relationships. In order to have good relationships a person has to be seeking to have unity with another person or another group of people. If there is no desire for unity, the relationships will not be solid, but only surface relationships.

What is the enemy of unity? Egotism or selfishness is the enemy of unity. It causes us to want to have our own way and not to care about others. There is a lot of selfishness in the world and even among Christians. It destroys the chance for unity. Also, unity is hindered by gossip. If you think about it, gossip is selfish, too. It is not caring about the other person, and the desire to seem important by sharing something with another person. If I could I would do away with egotism and gossip, but it is bound up in the flesh, isn't it?

I love to sense unity in my marriage, my family, and my church family. I am so glad Chris and I are in unity about most things and all of the things that matter. I long for the day that I could see that same type of unity in my church family. I believe that would enable us to accomplish the Lord's will in a marvelous way. That is the desire of my heart. I hope it is your desire, too.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Amos 1-3 and Revelation 6.

Popular Posts