The Blessing of Giving

Giving presents is one of the main Christmas traditions for people all around the world. In the USA it seems that more people concentrate on receiving than on giving. Maybe it has something to do with how Christmas is marketed. I think it is also because of how parents try to give so much to their children. Then, the children focus on what they will receive even more. I believe that is rather self-centered, and it can mold how people look at life. Instead, we should listen to Jesus and put the emphasis on giving. Giving contains the greatest blessing. (Acts 20:35)

Today, I had the joy of delivering gifts, and this evening I am helping Chris wrap the rest for our Christmas celebration. Over the years God has blessed us to be able to give more, and I have found that what Jesus said is so very true. Even when it comes to giving to our missionaries through the Lottie Moon offering, I get a real blessing each year, as we try to give more and more. In every case I have found that God always blesses us, and He makes up any lack we might have. (Philippians 4:19)

I am afraid that with the economic uncertainty many people have cut back on their giving. I do not think that is God's will. He still expects us to give His money, which He has entrusted to us. Then, He can bless us in a special way that He deems appropriate. He is always generous with His blessings. I would rather trust God to take care of me than trusting myself or the government. He is faithful! I pray that you will give much this Christmas.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Nahum and Revelation 14.

Popular Posts