Making A Connection

Part of my ministry as a pastor is to be the overseer of the church family. The word used in I Timothy 3 for bishop means an overseer. Then, the word pastor means to watch over the flock. Every good pastor/overseer wants the church family to grow. I like to talk about the church growing in quality and quantity. The truth is that when the people grow spiritually, the church family will grow in number as well.

When people come to a worship service or to a class, which we call Connection Groups now, they are looking for something. If they don't find it, they will not come back. Over they years I have spent a lot of time considering what causes people to make a connection with a church family. I learned in seminary that only 10% of the people in any church attend because of the pastor. That means that 90% attend for various other reasons. That fact doesn't hurt my feelings. It is just a reality.

Why do you think most people attend the church they attend? There are fewer and fewer who attend a church because of its denomination. Most attend because of their family and friends. Some attend because of doctrine or worship style. Others attend for business connections. I these things play a role in people making a connection to a church, but I wonder why more don't attend because they believe that church family will help them grow in the Lord? I know some people attend because of youth ministry or children's ministry. Why do they not attend because of ministry to themselves, so they can become a spiritual Christian?

Therefore, I ask you that question. What caused you to make a connection with your church? There may be more than one factor, but which one is the biggest factor? Is it a spiritual reason or is it social? I know fellowship is important, but is it the main thing? I think this is an important question for all of us to answer honestly in our own hearts.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Ezekiel 24-26 and I Peter 2.

Popular Posts