The Effects of Sin

I do not think we really understand the seriousness of sin and the terrible effects it has on our lives and the lives of others. Our culture has led us to downplay sin or even to dismiss it totally, and many believers have bought into that lie. As I was reading Joshua 7 this morning, I read about the sin of one man, Achan, and how that sin effected so many people. I think we need to consider this story.

Achan coveted, so he took several items from Jericho that were supposed to be dedicated to the Lord, not received by the people. We don't think much about the sin of covetousness. Out of all of the 10 commandments, it seems to us to be the least sin most of the time. However, here it caused great problems. I wonder what kind of problems are caused by murder, theft, lying, and adultery, if covetousness caused these results? Because of Achan's sin 36 soldiers died in the battle. They had not sinned, but they died because of Achan's sin. Is that fair? It is when you consider that God had warned the whole people against sin. The whole book of Deuteronomy was a warning to keep the Law. Then, Achan's whole family was stoned, and their possessions were burned with fire, so that nothing was left except a pile of stones as a memorial to deter people from doing the same thing again. What tragic results from one person's sin.

I have often wondered about this personally. I have asked God to show me if I have committed a sin or sins for which I and my family are being punished. He has not shown me anything, so I do not believe that is the case, but I do not want it to ever happen. I want to be quick to seek His forgiveness when I sin, so nothing like this will ever happen. Also, I ask God to show me if our church has committed sins, which are keeping us from the victory. I am glad we have a church that takes sin seriously, and we try to deal with it in God's way, so it does not cause us to be defeated before our enemies. I believe that it very important, because the effects of sin are serious and far reaching. We must not try to minimize sin for ourselves or for our church.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Joshua 10-12 and Luke 1:39-56.

Popular Posts