Not by Bread Alone

As many of you know, I do my best to eat well and stay healthy. I keep up with the calories I eat. I know that I need good food to have the energy I need to do God's will. I exercise, too, so I can stay strong. However, I learned a long time ago that food and exercise are not the most important factors in having a good life. God taught the Israelites this truth when they were led through the wilderness. They got hungry, since there was not enough food for 2 million people. This humbled them. Then, God fed them with supernatural food called manna that appeared in the morning 6 days a week. Along with the physical food came His instructions about how much to gather each day and what to do about the Sabbath. Those commands associated with the manna taught them that man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God. (Deuteronomy 8:3)  I wonder if we have all learned this lesson that was so important that Jesus repeated it for us in the New Testament?

Food is a big deal to most people. In fact, food rules a lot of people's lives. They plan their day around meals. They eat only what they enjoy, and they often eat too much. This leads to all sorts of problems both physical and psychological. Many people have food addictions and eating disorders, because of their emphasis on food and physical appearance. However, when it comes to the Word of God, they hardly ever read it. They do not make time for God's Word. They really don't even like reading it. They have no taste for it. Therefore, they suffer from anemia of the Word of God. In reality, our lives should be the other way around. We should make the food of the Word of God a priority, so that we plan our day around the Bible and prayer. Then, we live by the truths we read. This leads us to fulfillment and joy, as we know the Lord better and better. Our physical food becomes only a source of energy, not a source of comfort or happiness. When we balance life like God said, everything goes according to His design, which is always best.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Deuteronomy 9-11.

Popular Posts