Keeping Our Promises to God

The Bible is very clear that we must keep our promises or vows to the Lord. (Numbers 30:2) I know that I have failed to do this in several different ways down through the years. It always grieves my heart when I think of those things that I promised God, but I did not keep. I know it grieves His heart, as well. In fact, I am sure that I have had to suffer the consequences of my broken vows, because God is very serious about us keeping all we promise Him, so He wants to encourage us to take them seriously. What do we need to take away from this truth? Let's take a minute to consider it.

God loves us, and He wants us to be faithful to Him. Our relationship is based on faith. We need to have faith in Him, and He should be able to have faith in us and what we say to Him. If we break that trust, it shows different things about us. It shows that we do not value God as we should. We decide to disregard our promise, which shows we value something else more than God. That is an insult to God. Just think of it this way. What if we promised to do something for a friend by a certain day, but we did not do it. We might have felt like we had a good reason, but our friend will feel slighted,or think he is not important to us. It could harm our relationship.

I felt the Lord telling me to do something the other day when I was in the shower, so I told Him I would do it. I got out, and got ready. I went to do exactly what I promised. When I arrived at the destination, the person I needed to see was not there. However, I did not leave. I waited, so I could keep my promise. Then, he was tied up when He came. I still waited longer. Finally, I received the opportunity to speak with him by himself, and I delivered the gospel message which I told God I would share with him. I know God was pleased with that obedience, and I am waiting to see what happens in this person's life. God is so good when we keep our promises. He always keeps His.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Numbers 31-34. 

Popular Posts