Do Not Worry

Jesus did not stutter and neither did Paul. They both commanded us in no uncertain terms, "Do not worry." (Matthew 6:31,33) Then, why do we, as Christians worry? I believe it is a fair question, because I have had so many believers tell me that they could not help but worry. If that is true, then, is Jesus commanding us to do the impossible? I don't think so. Let me explain.

Here in Matthew 6 Jesus gives an extended teaching on why we should not worry. He explains the goodness of God to the birds of the air and the flowers of the field. Then, He follows with a promise, "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you." There is a connection between not worrying and the promise. If we trust God to keep His promise, then, we will not worry. Let's face it, worry is a lack of trust in God.

The same is true in Philippians 4:6,7. Paul said, "Be anxious for nothing, (Don't worry) but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God." Got that? Don't worry about anything, but pray about everything. Then, there is the promise of God, "and the peace of God which surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Sounds to me like God is promising us peace to replace the worry if we will pray. Again, our ability to stop worrying is connected to our trust in the promise of God. Worry proceeds from a lack of trust.

I am not being harsh or judgmental. I want every believer to be set free from worry and it's terrible side effects. I want all of us to receive God's provision of what we need and especially that we all receive His peace. In order to do that, we have to start trusting and praying, instead of worrying.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Matthew 7-9.

Popular Posts