A Covenant of Friendship

Real friends do not betray friends. Once we commit ourselves to another person as a friend, we are to be loyal to that person forever. Friends are not to be used. They are to be cherished and loved. Jonathan and David had that type of true friendship. They even made a covenant of friendship.(I Samuel 20:42) We can all learn a lot from this.

When we are drawn to be a friend to another person, it is not just for our pleasure. We do not continue to be that person's friend only as long as it brings us benefits. We are to watch out for them and help them. We are to be faithful to care about them and even their family members. This kind of friendship has almost been lost in today's culture, but we need to reclaim it.

This is especially true with Christian friends. We are brought together by the Lord, and we should commit ourselves to each other in the name of our Lord. It should be a strong bond of love that lasts for our whole life. I have Christian friends from high school, college, and seminary. I have friends from each church where the Lord has led me to be the pastor. I cherish these dear friends, and I would do whatever I could do to help any of them at any time. I hope all of us have that type of friendship covenant with our friends. It is a great blessing.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Samuel 21-24.

Popular Posts