Hearing from the Lord

Part of being a believer is hearing God speak with us. Now, when we say that some people think we are strange or crazy. That is not the case. It is a reality. The eternal God can speak, and we can hear from Him.(Ezekiel 1:3) In fact, God knows just how to express Himself to each believer for each situation of life, so that we know just what to do. Just like any conversation, we must be listening for Him, and we must be ready to act upon what He says, or why would He tell us anything.

When I describe how God speaks, I tell folks that "it is not audible every time, but it is louder than that." In other words, it is clear what God is saying like when He spoke "expressly" to Ezekiel. I will never forget my call into the ministry at age 17. I heard the Lord in my heart say to me, "I want you to tell people about Jesus, and that will help them forever." Now, I was speaking to my best friend, Jim. It came very quickly. There were not lights or loud noises. However, it was definitely God, and He meant for me to obey, which I did.

Other times, people have very fantastic appointments with God like Ezekiel, when God's hand was upon him. He saw the throne of God, and the image of a person on the throne, as he was seeing the four creatures and the wheels. It seems strange to us now, but it got Ezekiel's attention, so that when God spoke to Him, he was ready to hear and obey. I have not had anything that spectacular happen to me, but I have had times of prayer and worship when it was as if God's hand was upon me. I have felt His direction in messages I was delivering, so that I could say exactly what I needed to say at that moment. God does not stutter. When He speaks, or when we are touched by His hand, we know it.

We can't work this up or force God to speak to us or touch us. He is sovereign. He chooses when to speak and when to put His hand on us. Our part is to humbly submit to Him every day, all day long, so that when He is ready, we are a clean vessel ready to be used by the Master.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Ezekiel 2-4.

Popular Posts