The Effects of True Love

When Jacob saw Rachel, he was attracted by her beauty, and he was glad he had found his relatives in Haran. After talking with his uncle, Laban, he agreed to serve him for seven years in return for being able to marry his daughter, Rachel. Jacob loved Rachel, so the seven years seemed like only a few days to him.(Genesis 29:20) That is one of the effects of love that we can learn from this story. Love makes it a pleasure to serve another person, and it makes the time pass quickly. Also, when Laban tricked Jacob into marrying his younger daughter, Leah, first, Jacob was willing to serve him seven more years for Rachel. His love caused him never to give up in his relationship with her. Has that ever happened to you?

Two weeks ago, we celebrated my wife Chris' birthday. It was a special day for both of us, because it was the anniversary of when we met in 1972.(I can't say how many years that has been, so keep that part quiet) Let me just say that it has been a long time, but the quality of our love for each other has made it seem like only a few years. I can also say that I will do whatever I can to serve her, and I am committed to our relationship forever, because I love her. Yes, I was attracted to her at her birthday party way back then, but the main thing is that I decided to love her, and that choice of genuine love motivates me to do whatever it takes to be with her and to please her.

The same is true with my relationship with Jesus. March 20, 1970 I chose to trust Christ as my Lord and Savior. I did that because of a love for Him, since He had loved me so much that He died for me. From that day I have been willing to do whatever it takes to serve Him and to please Him. That is the effect of love in my life. I am committed to continuing to do whatever it takes for eternity, because I love Him with all my heart, with all my soul, and with all my strength.

I hope you have seen the same effects of love in your important relationships on earth, and especially in your relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 30-32..

Popular Posts