Passing the Test

Genesis 22 tells the story of how God tested Abraham's faith. The good news is that Abraham passed the test. Why did he get an A, instead of an F? I believe we have the answer in Genesis 22:8. He did not have to understand everything before he could trust God to provide. That is true faith.

It would be traumatic to be asked to kill your child, but that is what God asked Abraham to do. In fact, He asked Abraham to kill the son God promised to give him and to make into a great nation. How could that make sense? It did not make sense to Abraham, but he still obeyed God's voice and did the right thing. The reason he could do that was his belief that "God will provide." If we trust God like that, we will pass the test. If we doubt God's ability to provide, we will fail.

I can look back on my life, and each time God has led me to do a particular task, He has always provided what I needed. He never fails. I could make a long list, but I won't take the time here. I will just say that it is critical to hear from God and obey Him. He does not provide what we want or what we think we need. He provides in every case that He leads us to do something. Abraham had that assurance in his heart. We need to live in the same way no matter what God asks us to do. Then, we will see miracles like we read about in Genesis 22 and the rest of God's Word.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 24-26.

Popular Posts