Getting to the Heart of the Matter

Matthew 10:24-39 is a very challenging passage of Scripture. It really takes us all to the heart of the matter about our relationship with Jesus Christ. He is either Lord of all, or He is not Lord, at all. If we fear men more than we fear God, Jesus is not Lord of our life. If we deny Him before other people, He is not Lord of our life.(Matthew 10:23,24) If we love our family members more than we love Him, He is not Lord of our life. If we are not following Him in such a way that we grow to be more like Him all the time, He is not Lord of our life. Jesus lays it out for everyone to consider. It is all about having a relationship with Him, in which He is Lord and we are the disciples. He is Master, and we are the servants. He is first, and everyone and everything else comes after Him.

I know that we live in a day and time when this type of relationship is not the norm, so it is easy to say that I am over stating the case. Please, don't take my word for it. This is Jesus' explanation of how He looks at things. His view is the only one that matters. When we stand before the Lord one day, the Father will look over to His Son and ask Him, "Is he or she one of Yours?" It will not matter what we say, because many will say "Lord, Lord," but Jesus will say depart from Me, I never knew you.(Matthew 7:21-23) What will matter is what Jesus says. I want Him to be able to confess that I am one of His, because He is the Lord of my life.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Matthew 11-14.

Popular Posts