"Speak Lord For Your Servant Hears"

Over the years many people have looked me straight in the eyes and told me that they do not hear God speaking to them. I try to explain from the Bible and from my own experience how to hear from the Lord. Sometimes it helps them, and sometimes it doesn't. I can't imagine living without hearing from the Lord, so I feel sorry for anyone who can't hear Him speaking to their heart.

I know that God speaks to people. The Bible is full of stories which show that to be the truth. God has not changed. People are still the same. Therefore, I believe God still speaks, but the problem with hearing resides in the human heart. A clue to the solution for this problem comes from I Samuel 3:9 where God's Word says, "Therefore, Eli said to Samuel, "Go lie down, and it shall be if He calls you that you must say, Speak Lord for your servant hears...." Let me point out a few insights from this passage.

First of all, this experience in Samuel's life happened before he knew the Lord, and before God had revealed His Word to him for the first time.(I Samuel 3:7) This tells me that God can and does speak to people who do not know Him. He speaks to non-Christians and to Christians, we would say today. Therefore, anyone can hear from God when He speaks to them.

Secondly, the voice was very clear when He spoke to Samuel. I can say that, as well. He does not speak this distinctly every time, but at times, we know exactly the words He is trying to tell us. People ask me if I hear an audible voice. I tell them no, but it is louder than that. If you have heard it, you know just what I mean.

Finally, the condition of the person's heart seems to make the difference, whether they are a believer or not. Eli told Samuel how to respond. How did he know what to tell him? Eli knew that God loves to speak to prepared hearts that want to obey. He can and does speak to hard hearts, even to those who have rejected Him. However, the voice of God comes through loud and clear when we earnestly say, "Speak Lord for your servant hearts."

Please, allow me to play Eli in your life. If you think God is trying to speak to you, or you want Him to speak to you, say the same thing Samuel said from a humble heart. I believe God will honor your request. However, the key to hearing again and again is what you do about what He tells you. If you obey, He will keep speaking, and it will become louder and louder.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Samuel 4-6.

Popular Posts