Retirement

There has been a lot of talk lately about retirement. People are afraid that Social Security is going bankrupt. Other people lost so much money when the stock market went down this last time that they do not know if they will have enough money to retire. It is a difficult situation for a lot of folks. I pray that our leaders will do the right things to get our country back on good financial footing.

However, all of this talk about retiring doesn't effect me. I have no desire to retire from being a pastor or from the ministry. That is one of the positive things about being a preacher. I am called to do what I do, and I am thankful to be able to do it, so I want to keep going as long as I can. I do want to remain effective in what I do. I never want to get lazy or complacent.

If I had a "normal" job, I think I would retire at some point. However, after seeing all of the needs in the world, I would switch to some type of ministry even then. There is so much to be done, and there are so few workers for the harvest. Real retirement for a Christian should be heaven. I don't say that to make anyone feel bad or to make anyone feel guilty, but we will have plenty of time to rest there.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 33-35.

Popular Posts