Numbering Our Days

Psalm 90:12 has been intriguing to me for a long time. In fact, the older I get, the more I understand it. The verse says, "So teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." What does numbering our days have to do with wisdom? A lot.

I am past middle age by any definition we could apply. Even if I live to be 95, I am 8+ years beyond the middle point of my life on earth. Therefore, I can see my time shrinking, especially since the years pass by more quickly as I age, too. I do not want to waste the rest of my life. Therefore, I have even more desire to seek the wisdom of God. I want to live by His wisdom, so I can fill my years with the most important activities and relationships possible.

Numbering our days is a profitable exercise for young and old. Paul admonished us as believers to be "redeeming the time." Every day is precious. Every day is a gift from the Lord, and we should want to live it for His glory. If we live like we will live here forever, we will miss out on many things we should have done.

Another factor in numbering our days is discerning the times and seasons. Jesus could return this year. I may not make it to 57 or even 56 1/2. Therefore, when I number my days with His return in mind, it really gives me an urgency to redeem the time by living in His wisdom. I believe if we all, as believers, would number our days, it would change how we live, and we would change the world.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 91-93.

Popular Posts