Heart Change

God looks on the heart. He does not look on the outward appearance of a person. I can't see a person's heart, so I am at a disadvantage. When I speak to people, I try to discern the condition of their hearts, but sometimes I am fooled. All I can do is to be gracious and try to give them wise counsel, so they can have a heart change.

I got a voicemail message on my office phone from a man who I had been helping. The message asked for me to visit him at the local jail. Unfortunately, I did not get the message for a few days, so by the time I called to check on him he had been transferred to a state prison 120 miles from here. I looked him up on my computer and found out that he has been sentenced to 10 years, so he probably won't get out until 2014. My heart sank. I really thought he had experienced a supernatural heart change. I am not sure now, but I hope I did all I could do to help him. I am going to continue to pray that this time God will really speak to him, and there will be a lasting change.

The Bible tell us in II Corinthians 5:17, "Therefore, if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come." One of the things that makes us a new creature is a new heart that is soft and sensitive to the Lord. Only when we have a complete heart change can we be like Jesus, and that is what it means to be a Christian.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 2-5.

Popular Posts