Empty Talk

As I was reading my passage in the book of Job this morning, I came upon Job 35:13 which says, "Surely, God will not listen to empty talk, nor will the Almighty regard it." I was struck by those two words "empty talk." I wonder what God considers to be empty talk? Of course, that is very important when it comes to our prayers, because He will not listen to or regard empty talk.

I am quite sure that false words fall into this category. We can't fool God, if we say one thing, but we have something totally different in our hearts. Those words are empty of reality and truth.

I believe that He also knows when we do not intend to put any action to our words. We want to talk about something, if He wants to do it, but we are not willing to put forth any effort to make it a reality. Those words do not contain any passion.

Finally, we may pray for something, but there is no emotion or fervency. We are repeating words we have heard before or said before, but there is no heart connection. Those words are empty of feeling.

I think we all get the picture, and you could add your own insights into what makes words empty. However, we all need to make sure that when we pray, our words are full of truth, passion, and feeling which all come from deep in our hearts. Then, God will not only listen, but He will act to accomplish His will in response to our prayers.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Job 38-40.

Popular Posts