A Power Outage

As I watch it sleet and snow, I think back to the times in the past when I have been through ice storms. I pray that we don't have another bad one this time, but there is a strong potential for that. I have already made some preparations for the power to go out. I have spread the candles around the house, and we have our flash lights ready to take to bed with us. Whatever happens we should be warm since we have gas fireplace and stove. However, life is much different when we have no electricity. There are a number of things we can't do. There would be no Internet browsing on the PC. None of the cordless phones will work. The light will be limited to book lights, flash lights, and candles. It will be a very primitive situation, even though we have more now than they used to have before electrical power.

Also, my mind goes to another type of power outage. What happens in our lives when we do not have the spiritual power we need? It makes for a radically limited life. Our prayers are hindered by our lack of intimacy with God. We suffer from a lack of wisdom and insight that we need to see life clearly. We have no power to stay away from the sins that beset us. Our lives are much more vulnerable to to the influence of the world, the flesh, and the devil.

Either type of power outage is a serious situation. If I had my choice, I would always have plenty of electricity and plenty of spiritual power for life's situations, too.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 31-33.

Popular Posts