Going Back to Move Forward

The Lord has really spoken to me in reading Jacob's story this year. For some reason I can relate to what he went through this time more than I usually do. This morning as I read the passage about going back to Bethel in Genesis 35:3, I had several flash backs. I have gone back, so I could go forward in my life, too.

Jacob received God's blessing at Bethel as he was fleeing from Esau. Then, after 20 years under Laban, he returned to his home, and Esau welcomed him with no ill will. It was only by God's grace that Esau did not kill him. Then, a very damaging event happened to Jacob's family, and he was afraid his life would fall apart, and his family would no longer be blessed by the Lord. He had a choice. He could move forward by himself, or he could go back to God for His help and protection. He made the right choice. He went back to where God had blessed him to make His appeal to God for His continued presence with his family. God honored his going back to Bethel, and Jacob continued in His favor.

I have gone back to places where God spoke to me in an effort to reconnect with Him. I have also used what Henry Blackaby calls "Spiritual Markers" to help me. A spiritual marker is a special time in your life when God brings you to know His will, and you decide to trust Him. Then, your life changes for the better. As we look back on those times or markers, we can see how God has led us and where He is leading us in the future. It is going back in our hearts to see what he has done for us, and to reconnect with Him in a special way. I recommend both ways when we need to show God we really need His personal intervention in our lives to discern His will for moving forward.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 37-39.

Popular Posts