God's Punishment

This morning I read Henry Blackaby's devotional "Experiencing God Day By Day" as I usually do. It is always simple and profound. I always find it helpful for me. It is never boring or redundant even though I have used it for several years. I recommend it highly.

Today, the message was about how we can mistake God's punishment for trials. The pain might be the same, but the solution is far different. When God brings us pain or problems to punish us for our sins, He is trying to get us to pay attention and to confess those sins. Then, if we confess them and repent, He will end the pain or problem. If we don't, we will continue to experience his displeasure. So if we think it is a trial, and we pray for God to help us through or to remove it, we might get discouraged, because it won't go away.

Therefore, we, as believers, must be very sensitive to God's voice, especially in the difficulties of life. We can't win against Satan's attacks without God's power. We must do what God says to overcome. Also, we must specifically confess our sins and repent. It can't be a general "forgive my sins." God has to see that we are broken by our sin and ready to turn and go the other way. Either way, we have to hear from the Lord and obey.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 47-50.

Popular Posts