Gone Fish'n

It has been a long time since I went fishing for fish. It was a great experience. A friend and I got in a boat and fished on a private lake. We caught about 33 fish in a short time. On top of the fishing we had a nice time of fellowship, too. Fishing is fun. I would love to have the opportunity to do it more often, but I have a lot of other things to do which are even more fun and important.

The truth is that I go fishing every week. I go fishing for people. On Monday evenings we get together and go out to do some Jesus style fishing. (Mark 1:17) Tonight, Ted and I went out into the ocean of life searching for some of the ones for whom Jesus died. We didn't go just to say that we caught a whole pew full. We went because folks need to know that Jesus loves them, and we care, too. We had a good fishing trip tonight. We found two new little ones. They have a special place in Jesus' heart. Then, we saw three big ones. It would sure be nice to land them in church one day and to reel them into the family. That is the big difference between catching fish and catching people. When we fish for people, we are trying to lead them to life, not into death.

When was the last time you could hang out the "Gone Fish'n" sign at your place? I hope you make it a regular practice. It is not just for Monday evenings, even though it is good to have set time to take a fishing trip each week. It can be any time, because we are constantly running into people who need life. The greatest thing besides coming to know Jesus personally is to be a part of seeing another person come to Him in faith and inherit eternal life. What a thrill! It is much better than catching any fish.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Mark 2-4.

Popular Posts