Mending a Broken Heart

This afternoon I was walking down the hall of the local elementary school after having my weekly mentoring time with my kindergarten mentee. I dropped him off at his class, and I was headed back to the office to sign out. Suddenly, I heard a voice from behind me calling my name. I turned around to see a teacher I did not know approaching me. She had heard about me being a mentor, and I am sure she knows I am a pastor. What she said touched my heart.

She wanted to know if I would be willing to mentor another little boy. The reason she was asking me to take on this additional mentoring was that over the break a fifth grade boy had lost his mother in a car wreck. One of the teachers had gone to the funeral, and he was very distraught. He is living with his grandparents now and attending that school. I told her I would come and meet with him, if it was approved by the school counselor. How could I say no? I believe that was a divine appointment. How often is a Baptist pastor well known in a public school so much that a teacher would seek him out to help a grieving student? I think that was God's hand, and I pray that I can help this young man. It is a privilege for me to try to be Jesus for him right now and show him the love of Jesus.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Deuteronomy 29-31.

Popular Posts