Midnight, Me, and a Little Snow

We had our Good News Club at the elementary school this afternoon, as we usually do on Thursdays. We had a larger group of children than we have most of the time, and they were better behaved than they are most of the time. That surprised me, because the weather forecast was for snow. I figured the kids would be all hyper in anticipation. It was my turn to teach the lesson, so I gave them the whole life of Jacob from his experience at Bethel when he saw Jacob's ladder, until he returned many years later and went back to Bethel. I showed them that God wants us all to change like Jacob changed from being the "Deceiver" to being a "Believer." We played a little game, and we sang some songs. We just had a great time. I like being with the children and telling them about Jesus.

However, once we were done, and I made it to the truck, I went straight home. I put on my long underwear and two pairs of socks. I grabbed my cap, ear grips, and gloves. I didn't know about anybody else, but I was going to go take a walk in the snow with my dog, Midnight. As I was going out of the door, someone asked me where I was going. I told them my intentions, and I added that they would be able to tell when I get old, because only then would I not go out to play in the snow. I meant it, too. I may be almost 55, but I am still a kid inside. I know what's fun, and snow is one of the most fun things for me.

I can remember playing in the snow as a child. Mom would dress me as warmly as possible, but it would not be long before I was wet and cold. However, I would never let anyone know that, because I didn't want to have to go inside. That would have killed me. I think it was in 1961 when we first moved into my parents house in Decatur that it snowed 6 inches or so. We had a blast. We didn't have sleds, but we found flat things to slide on. We had snowball fights, and we made snowmen. Most of the time the snowmen were not very pretty because there was so little snow that we ended up picking up some grass in the snow balls. We still loved it. Once when we were visiting friends in Nashville, it snowed a foot. I stayed outside with two friends all day. I walked and played until I didn't think I could take another step. It was fantastic. At Lake Whitney in Central Texas it snowed 22 inches one day. The next day it turned off sunny, and it was so beautiful. Then, I took my dog, Trouble, and we had a blast.

I say all of this to say that God never wants us to lose the wonder of life and the joy of having a good time. Life is not all about being serious and being a "grown up." There is a little child in all of us, and God put him there. We shouldn't try to cover that up. We ought to have a great time. In fact, Christians ought to have a better time that everyone else in the whole world. We have salvation and God's best blessings, and He wants us to enjoy life. Next time it snows, I hope to see you out in it. Just watch out. I still have a pretty good arm.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 24-27.

Popular Posts