Clay in the Hands of God

My devotional reading this morning from Experiencing God Day by Day was taken from Jeremiah 18. I am sure most of us are familiar with the passage about Jeremiah going down to the potter's house at the command of God. Then, he received God's message that Israel was like that clay. God could crush them and start over, and make something good out of them if He wanted to do so. It is a powerful lesson for us.

As for me, I do not want to force God to crush me and start over on me, even though I know He could. I want to yield myself to Him like a lump of clay, and say, "Lord, I am Yours to make into whatever you see fit." I believe that is the kind of heart God wants to see.

Unfortunately many believers are strong willed. They want to have control of their lives. They want to tell God what they will do or what they won't do. God doesn't work that way. He doesn't take orders from us. We either yield to Him or He punishes us like a Loving Father to bring us to see the right way to go. Since He won't force us to do it His way, there are many believers who never get it. They spend their whole lives kicking against Him, and they wonder why they are not happy.

I would much rather be a happy lump of clay in the hands of God. I know He will make something better out of me than I could ever make of myself. Sometimes, it is hard to be patient and wait to see what He is doing. However, He has assured me that if I wait, He will make something beautiful.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 22-23.

Popular Posts