Happy Birthday to My Sister, Jan

I have been quite nostalgic lately. I am not quite sure why I am feeling that way now, but I am. I have been thinking about all of my family members and my close friends and how much they mean to me. My mind has been full of past experiences, and they have brought a great amount of joy to my heart. I know I can't go back, and I don't want to. I want to move forward in God's will. However, I can move forward with my blessed memories.

One of my best memories is of my little sister, Jan. Today was her birthday. I know she had a wonderful Birthday, because she is in Heaven where there is no pain or crying. She has been there since 1982, so she knows her way around well by now. I am sure she was given a job that requires attention to detail. She was always very particular about her toys and her clothes. She kept them in the right order all of the time. My parents did not have to do a lot of picking up after her, and I had to be careful not to move anything, unless I put it back in exactly the right place. Anyway, she will be able to show me around when I get there. It will be a wonderful reunion.

Whenever I have a difficult task to do that causes me pain or discomfort, I think about Jan just before she died. She was still in great pain from her heart surgery at Emory. Unfortunately, she was still retaining fluid, and it was putting stress on her heart. The doctors could not give her the usual medications for the fluids, so they said she had to limit her intake to a minimum. She became very thirsty, and it was hard for us to see her that way. Then, in the middle of the night my father awakened to see her pulling herself over the bed rail, so she could get a little water. I can't imagine the pain it caused her. However, it is a lesson for me in perseverance and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. Therefore, when things get hard for me, I just think of my frail little sister pulling herself over that rail, and I can keep going. If the Lord gave her the strength to do that, He will give me the strength to do what I need to do. There is no need to give up or waver.

Another year has come and gone, so I am one year closer to seeing my Lord and my little sister. Happy Birthday, Jan!

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 12-14.

Popular Posts